Everywhere we look in today’s world it seems we are bombarded with stressful messages about the state of the world. So much of what we are reading or viewing is out of our control. What we can control though is what we choose to watch or listen to. If you have been finding yourself feeling more anxious, stressed or agitated than normal, observe what media you have been exposing yourself to. Follow these simple steps to start shifting your focus.
- Wake up and take a few moments to open your eyes, breathe and visualize or mediate briefly.
- Have a healthy breakfast and stretch or exercise if you have time before you check your phone, email or social media.
- Block sites that you notice trigger worry or agitation.
- Choose to avoid the news, focus instead on uplifting articles or stories they are just as real.
- At the end of the day turn off your phone, email and social media.
If you find your mind continues to race, your mood is angry you feel depressed or anxious for more than a few days seek professional help. Therapists like myself have a variety of techniques such as; thought work, hypnotherapy and mind/body techniques to help you resolve anxious or depressed moods. Very often clients I work with begin to feel better right away.