Holidays can be a stressful time of year as far as weight is concerned. However, there are many practical steps you can take to make sure that you enjoy the holidays and stay healthy. If you have been wanting to lose weight but have not yet committed to doing things differently or if you have been making a serious effort to feed your body healthy food, follow these guidelines for simple suggestions.
1. When you attend a party focus on enjoying the people or the event as the main attraction rather than the food. Try to learn at least one thing you did not know each person you talk to and you will keep your mind engaged.
2. The idea of “skipping” meals so that you can eat later is really not effective. Make sure you eat regularly spaced meals throughout the day rather than waiting for food at the party. That way you can ensure you are eating healthy proportioned meals and can add in one or two extras at the party. Going to an event already fed allows you to be choosy about what you select.
3. Have a mental picture of what you would like to eat at a party even if it includes something salty, fatty or sweet. Give yourself permission to eat that special treat, taking your time to choose it, taste it and enjoy it.
4. Alcohol always makes it more challenging to stick to your mental plan so limit your consumption by simply having a glass of water for every drink you have, choosing a wine spritzer or a light beer.
5. Continue to exercise throughout the party season. Adding a nice walk before or after an event, going to a yoga class or riding your bike feels good, burns calories and lifts your mood.
Following these practical solutions will go a long way towards making your holiday season empowering and enjoyable.