Those who work in healthcare such as Physicians, Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses and Health Care Aides often have higher levels of burnout than those in other professions. What factors contribute to this phenomenon. Often it is a combination of situations.
If you believe that you are suffering from burnout do you recognize any of the common contributing factors below?
1. Heavy patient load not allowing for the kind of care you want to give.
2. Resources that you require to do a good job are unavailable.
3. Shift work that often leaves you feeling exhausted and makes planning a “normal life” more difficult.
4. Cases that appear to be more complex than they used to.
5. Management that has unrealistic expectations and does not support changes to improve things.
6. Difficult interpersonal situations with coworkers or management.
Through Counselling and Therapy strategies can be put in place to help you minimize the impact of your situation on your physical and emotional health.